Due to the corona virus pandemic and the uncertainty as to when current restrictions will be lifted we have decided to cancel our exhibition on The Clearances planned for August. All being well it will now take place in August 2021.
Although online and printed material is still being researched we have lost access to the old estate records and documents at Highland Archives, Inverness Library and the NLS in Edinburgh that would contribute to a large part of the exhibition content.
Hopefully those researching at present will continue with a view to making Exhibition 2021 a major success.
Friday 14th February at 7.30pm
Talk in the Blairbeg Hall (Glenurquhart Hall) Annexe. David Fraser and Chris Grant will be talking about ‘Cnocan Burraidh Burial Ground – its people and restoration’. The Cnocan Burraidh graveyard covers 300 years of local history and the people buried at the site include people of national importance such as General Sir Charles Grant who was in charge of the Scottish Army in 1939; key figures from the early part of the British Empire in India; and Sir Theodore Gervais Chambers the Chairman of Welwyn Garden City from 1920 to 1950. https://www.soirbheas.org/cnocan-burraidh/
Entry is £1.50 ( includes tea & biscuits).
Planning for next year’s exhibition is already underway. We are on the lookout for anyone with information that will be useful to us. This includes items you might have seen online or perhaps family histories, books, documents, etc. We are particularly keen to hear from relatives, at home or overseas, of those who were cleared who perhaps can share their family stories.
You can get in touch by emailing SHA on firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of the Highland Archaeology Festival SHA is hosting an event inviting people to visit the RC Church at Marydale – the Church of Our Lady and St Bean followed by a short trip to Clachan Comar, a ruined 17th century church set within a graveyard which was still in use into the 20th century. (Clachan, meaning stones, is the Gaelic word for a graveyard). The church is built on the site of an earlier church, possibly 10th century, which was dedicated to Saint Bean and known as Kilbeathan.
Big thanks to our member Dennis Ross for his highly informative talk on his metal detecting activities. Dennis is a mine of information on his hobby and shared some historical and archaeological facts relating to his finds along the way.
He brought along a large number of items mainly from the local area including silver and gold coins together with a vast array of buckles, buttons and other decorative pieces. All in all a very enjoyable evening.
Our Exhibition this year ran from 12th to 24th August at Marydale and was a well attended event. We posted material on the major themes that have shaped the Strathglass area over several millenia. The exhibition was well received by locals and vistors alike. A number of people suggested that we incorporate some of the material in our website and hence this new site has been developed.
This year SHA is once again hosting events as part of the Highland Archaology Festival. Anyone can attend the events but please see notes below. Download full list of HAF 2019 events.
Sunday 29th September 2019
Time 2pm/Meet Marydale 1.45pm
Highland Archaeology Festival Guided Walk: Comar Wood Dun
Monday 30th September 2019
Marydale Hall, Cannich 7.30pm
Highland Archaeology Festival Talk: ‘The Metal Detective’ – Dennis Ross
Thursday 17th October 2019
Time 2pm/Meet Marydale 1.45pm
Highland Archaeology Festival Guided Walk: Marydale & Clachan Comar
Fortunately the bad weather that was forecast failed to materialise and we had a very enjoyable day out. First stop was Aviemore for light refreshments and then onto Ruthven Barracks.
The barracks were built following the 1715 Jacobite uprising as a base for the redcoats to patrol the local area. Accomodation was provided for up to 120 officers and men and latterly stables were added for horses of dragoons.
The Jacobite rising of 1745 saw the barracks besieged in August of that year but a garrison of only twelve redcoats reputedly repelled a force of three hundred. However the Jacobites returned in February 1746 with heavy guns and the garrison duly surrendered!
Following the defeat at Culloden the remnants of the Jacobite army regrouped at Ruthven where they were informed to disperse and seek out safety. The barracks are now in the care of
Historic Environment Scotland
The Highland Folk Museum, previously located at Kingussie, opened at Newtonmore in 1996 expanding over the years to its current 80 acres stretching over a mile long site. There are four main areas to explore including Baile Gean (Township of Goodwill) a 1730s township superbly recreated based on an excavated settlement near Lynchat a few miles from Kingussie. Baile Gean was featured in the Outlander TV series. The other areas cover highland life through to the 1950s.
Lots to see all over the site including a school room where corporal punishment is still the order of the day! The old sweet shop, Kirk’s Store, is well worth a visit to get some Soor Plooms or Dolly Mixtures . The Museum is complemented by excellent facilities – cafe, toilets and gift shop.
For more on the Highland Folk Museum visit their website or better still go and see it for yourself. Finally a big thank you to Bill Ross our bus driver for whom nothing is too much bother. Very much appreciated.