Cannich Church of Scotland
The church at Cannich, designed by architect John Robertson of Inverness who designed several rural churches, was officially opened on 20th July 1899 and at the time was referred to as a ‘Mission Hall.’ It was built to provide for the congregation of the Established Church in the upper reaches of Erchless Parish.
Another Mr Robertson, a farmer at Comar, contributed £500 towards the building costs and also purchased a number of bibles for the congregation. The site was acquired by a feudal disposition by Mrs Chisholm of Chisholm in favour of the Trustees of Erchless Parish.
The Rev. James Fraser from Erchless was one of a number of dignitaries who attended the opening and the opportunity was seized to hold a collection for the building fund which saw £21 raised. From notes made at the time, following the service “Brethren along with a number of friends were afterwards entertained in the Glen Affric Hotel at the expense of Miss Campbell of Comar.”
Together with the church at Struy, Cannich Church later became part of the enlarged Kilmorack & Erchless Parish. In 1986 the building was ‘C’ listed. Laterally services were held on alternate Sundays but early in 2019 due to declining congregation numbers it was decided to close the church with the congregation now part of Urquhart & Glenmorriston Parish at Drumnadrochit.